As far as I can work out Australia day commemorates the day, in 1788, that the British arrived on the continent occupied by the Aboriginal peoples for thousands of years, and said “we’ll have this, thanks”. However, for the modern Australian it’s more about having a bbq, drinking beer, listening to the Triple J Hottest 100, and eating pavlova and lamingtons (recipe below).
1. Make yellow cake (from packet), freeze
2. melt chocolate over boiling water, then add an equal amount of cream.
3. cut cake into 1-2 inch cubes, dip into chocolate/cream mixture
4. dip dripping cake into flaked coconut
5. leave to set on parchment paper
6. lick fingers.